Sunday, November 22, 2009

Jerking's Coming-of-Age

So, I was looking at the New York Times Sunday Styles section, which I practically die waiting for all week, and of course I couldn't miss the HUGE cover article on jerking. I was super excited to see the absolutely ginormous pic of Julian Goins and his fly moves like BAM! right in front of my face. Anyhoo, to the point. It was supercool to see this huge story on jerking because it's huge at my school--almost everyone does it, or at least tries. The oddest things happen at dances because of jerking. There are a few people who are really spectacular and when they start to dance, the giant circles of people form around them and then, the only people who are dancing are the ones in the middle of the circle. If there is one thing that reigns supreme in an OC middle it's jerking. Hours are spent youtubing jerking videos. Even more are spent getting music and then setting the choreography for dance-offs, events the entire school relishes. Then, of course, there is the epic week of Star-Search at my school where jerking reigns supreme and the dance battles commence to the deafening screaming of supporters. There is no question about it, this is jerking's coming of age.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love your blog!!! You know, I have a friend who taught his Grandma how to jerk... :)

Alf said...

Jerking, while cool to watch doesn't have much of a point. It is just another way for people with large egos to lek. That is a scientific term referring to the way some animals gather in large groups each trying to out display the other. I find it very bizarre that civilized people would stoop to the levels of various kinds of antelopes and many kinds of birds.

But then again we have all the instincts about social dominance that they do